A disciplined mind can achieve anything. Albert Einstein’s reputation lives on long after his death because he created groundbreaking inventions that changed the way people live, learn, and work. His work, education, theories, and inventions were the result of a disciplined mind. He knew how far a well-trained mind can go and that’s why he said, “Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think.” A highly-trained mind can take you from where you are to where you desire to be.
Einstein acknowledged the fact that your thoughts determine what you achieve and that you become what you think about:
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.” – Albert Einstein
Your mind holds the key to your success or failures. Meaning, if you feed your mind with positive thoughts you will fulfill your dreams. Whereas, if you have negative thinking patterns, reaching your goals, and living to your full potential would be difficult.
Top 5 Ways of Disciplining Your Mind To Remain Focused.
- Understand how your mind works – The best way of disciplining your mind to remain focused is by understanding how the mind works. You do a lot of damage to your goals and health by overworking and failing to take adequate breaks. That is why Francesco Cirillo developed the Pomodoro Technique which states that the most effective way of getting things done is by working 25-minute intervals and taking 5-minute breaks in between. Applying the Pomodoro Technique in your life works because it agrees with the way your mind functions and focuses on what’s best for the mind rather than the will. Retain your focus when working or studying by using the Pomodoro Technique.
- Start working without thinking about it – The only way of doing anything is by getting at it without thinking about it. If you spend too much time thinking about what you are supposed to do you will come up with “valid” excuses justifying why you can do it later. Hence, the only way of ensuring you begin working when you should be is by jumping into the work without thinking about it.
- Control your environment – That is why tidying up your desk and working in an orderly environment is important. Clearing up your work area will have a positive impact on your work and it will make it easier for your mind to focus.
- Set daily goals and plan to achieve them – By setting daily goals you teach your mind to engage in active thinking and avoid idleness. Setting daily goals will make it easier for your mind to nurture positive thoughts and constantly come up with solutions that work. Discipline your mind to repeatedly engage in critical thinking and remain busy by having actionable plans that will enable you to achieve the goals you set.
- Get enough rest – Getting enough rest is by far the most important thing when it comes to preserving your mental wellbeing. Your mind can only be refreshed and replenished by getting enough rest or by getting some good quality sleep regularly. Therefore, prioritize rest as much as you do work.